I admit it: I have been called a workaholic on more than one occasion. I do make time for myself and my family, but it is hard for me to have “down time,” where I sit around and watch television or relax on the couch and stare into space. First of all, I don’t watch television, and secondly, I find staring into space boring after about … 30 seconds.
As a working mother of three children, I don’t have a whole lot of free time. But, there are moments when my husband takes the kids for the day, or when the children are off at a friend’s house, and I actually do have time to myself. It is hard for me not to use that precious time to write or do laundry. But, I find having a list of things to do other than working is helpful as a reminder of all of the things one could do in those rare moments of free time.
I suspect I am not the only person out there who has trouble relaxing and not working or doing housework. In this post, I provide a list of activities you can do when you are not working….
Fifteen things you can do when you are not working…
- Read a novel
- Talk on the phone with friends
- Go for a walk outside
- Attend an event at university concert hall or museum
- Watch a movie or TV show at home
- Soak in the bathtub
- Take a dance class
- Invite people over for drinks or dinner
- Go to the movies, a restaurant, or a wine tasting with friends
- Go to the gym or exercise class alone or with a buddy
- Engage in creative activity: writing, art, crafts
- Do yoga or meditate
- Tend to the garden
- Cook a new recipe
- Listen to the radio or a podcast
If you rarely or never do these sorts of activities, you might just be a workaholic. Remember, rest and relaxation important for the mind, body and soul. Give yourself permission to do something you enjoy. You deserve a break!