Tuesday, June 28, 2011

The Key to Publishing Journal Articles – Submit, submit, submit

One of my wise mentors once told me that one of the best attributes a new academic can have is a thick skin. The reason is that rejection is a major part of the academic experience and if you let rejections get under your skin, you will have trouble moving forward. When you get a rejection from a journal, the best thing to do is to accept that rejections are normal, use the comments to revise the article, and send it out again.

Rejections are Part of Life as an Academic

I have received at least a dozen rejection letters from academic journals, and even more from fellowship opportunities. Rejection letters are unpleasant to receive. Who likes getting told their work is not up to par. However, they are part of life, and the best attitude is to think of rejections as just another step on the way to getting published.

rejected

How to Deal with Rejection: Send out as many articles as possible

One way I have found to deal with rejection is always to have a manuscript under review. That way, when I receive a rejection, at least I know that I have another chance for success out there. Of course, the more manuscripts you send out, the more rejections you will get. However, it is also true that if you don’t send anything out, you will never get anything accepted. My strategy has been to submit, submit, and submit.

Submit, submit, and submit some more

I began my position as an Assistant Professor at the University of Kansas in 2005. Just before starting at Kansas, I sent a paper out for review. For the next five years, I always had at least one paper under review. This means that I have never received a rejection letter without another possibility for acceptance out there.

I began my tenure-track position with an article from my dissertation under review by spending the summer before I started my position preparing an article for submission. At the time, I didn’t have the benefit of Wendy Belcher’s book – How To Write a Journal Article in Twelve Weeks – but, that would have been the perfect time to use it. I worked over the summer revising my dissertation, and, just before moving to Kansas, I submitted an article based on my dissertation.

Once I arrived in Kansas, I found a whole new world of responsibilities I had not had before – faculty meetings, committee meetings, students, and formal and informal gatherings with colleagues.

I knew that, to achieve tenure I would not only have to meet my daily responsibilities – attend meetings and teach my classes – but I also would need to publish articles. I also expected my article that was under review to be rejected. To prepare for that inevitable rejection letter, I began to work on another article to submit. I also had articles circulating from my time in graduate school, and got to work on those.

Always have at least one article under review

By the time the rejection letter came in December, I had a different article accepted, and another chapter of the dissertation under review. And, so I continued, always making sure to have at least one article under review.

You might wonder what happened to that article I sent off in August 2005. Well, it was just recently published – in February 2010. Yes, it took nearly five years. In fact, it took the longest, as all of the other papers I have submitted over the years have been accepted, usually after two or three rejections.

As I write this, at the end of my sixth year on the tenure track, every single paper that I have sent out is either in print, in press, or still under review. Had I given up at the first rejection, sure, I would have fewer rejections. But, more importantly, I would have fewer acceptances.

Want to get published? Then, you have to submit, submit, and submit again.

9 comments:

  1. In conversations with fellow grad students, I've come to realize that most people just don't submit. I've been lucky to have a committee chair who has encouraged/pushed me to submit articles, and because I've had some luck, I tell grad students that I think most of us could publish if we would just submit.

    Bravo on this post, Tanya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tanya

    I am so happy I found your blog. I'm a struggling assistant professor reeling from some early rejections... you've given me hope to stick with it.

    Many many thanks for sharing your experiences

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are welcome, Anonymous. I am glad you found this useful. Having early rejections is a great sign that you are actually getting out there and submitting! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I needed this today. First rejection today. Cried. Feeling like a failed assistant professor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is very comforting to know that among the leaders of our academia, it is still difficult to get material into the world. I second that, How to write a journal article in twelve weeks is by far the best book on the market for anyone interested in publishing material.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice! I just loved your post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can I just say, I am emerging from nappies and toddler tantrums with a heart yearning to sit down and write again, not to say even submit and get rejected. I am trying to get the courage together and believe that I still have some brain cells left after 5 years at home. But once an academic always one I believe. Even if it means with children climbing over me while I try to read an article.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i want to write article in the field of computer science.but have no idea to how to write and what to write.i have some good ideas but i dont know how to represent them.please tell me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are a student, you should talk to your advisor. If not, and you don't have connections in the academy, the chances of getting published are very slim. Journal article publishing is a conversation among academics.

      Delete